top of page




Child Support During the COVID-19 Pandemic

If you have been ordered to pay child support, the covid-19 pandemic may disrupt but probably not suspend your financial obligation.

Your job may have furloughed you or laid you off. That may hamper your ability to make child support payments on time.

If you have lost your income there are two things you need to do ASAP:

1. Notify your Case Worker that you have either been furloughed or laid off and give them verification of your unemployment.

2. File a Motion to Decrease Child Support in the Court where the child support judgment is located.

The Department of Children and Family Services has said they encourage non-custodial parents to make payments either electronically or by phone during the crisis.

Note: The Department of Children and Family Services does not have the authority to suspend child support payments. The courts have the power to change child support payments. Any enforcement of an existing child support judgment will be looked at on a case by case basis.

If possible, do your best to pay your child support. Failure to pay could result in fines or imprisonment.

If you have lost your income, keep records of the dates of employment.

Let us get started today!

If you need legal assistance with filing a motion to decrease your child support obligation, give us a call today!

We are ready to help you today.

We offer flat fee billing so that there are no surprises when paying for your child support matter.

bottom of page